Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Story

I just finished up an absolutely incredible book. Its called A Million Miles in a Thousand Years, by Donald Miller. In it he talks about story. Yes, stories in general, but mostly about the story of life. About who we are playing in our story and whether we are really doing something meaningful. When we feel as if we have no purpose or joy, perhaps it is because we aren't living our story with a purpose or doing things that ignite a real, genuine joy.

It made me want to be more conscious of my story, to create those memorable moments that actually matter, those moments that have an impact. Maybe, setting the world on fire begins by entering into a story that's great, becoming a character you can be proud of, and then inviting others along on the journey, hoping they too might be inspired by living your story and making it theirs.

Last night I watched the old Alfred Hitchcock movie, The Birds, for the first time. I loved it until the ending. I like to know why, I like clear-cut explanations and I like for everything to resolve all nice and neat. But thats okay, I'll just have to deal with the fact that I otherwise enjoyed it. My boyfriend, Bennet, and I decided we are going to start watching good, old movies now, you know those classics that everyone always talks about. Maybe those will help me better understand this whole story thing as I strive to create meaningful moments in my own story.


----"Here's the truth about telling stories with you life. It's going to sound like a great idea, and you are going to get excited about it, and then when it comes time to do the work, you're not going to want to do it. It's like writing a books, and it's like that with life. People love to have lived a great story, but few people like the work it takes to make it happen. But joy costs pain."-----Donald Miller (A Million Miles in a Thousand Years).

No comments:

Post a Comment